Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MillerCoors Takes Super Bowl Ads to the Extreme

It's 1.20.09 and, here in the United States, all thoughts are on one thing and one thing only: The Super Bowl.

OK, OK, I'm joking. We all know today will live on in history as a new president moves into the White House. But seriously, it's less than two weeks until the Super Bowl, the day everyone watches to see what the world of advertising has in store. I know today's presidential inauguration was particularly of interest to everyone everywhere, but it seems the ads set to debut during this year's Super Bowl have been completely forgotten.

What I'm really trying to tell you is that Miller Brewing Company (now MillerCoors, I think) will run some brand-new 1-second ads in local markets during the pregame on Feb. 1. The message? According to High Life Senior Brand Manager Kevin Oglesby:
"Miller High Life is all about high quality and great value, so it wouldn't make sense for this brand to pay $3 million for a 30-second ad. Just like our consumers, High Life strives to make smart choices. One second should be plenty of time to remind viewers that Miller High Life is common sense in a
bottle."

Or, as AdAge puts it, the spots, via Saatchi & Saatchi, are meant to poke fun at competitor Anheuser-Busch and the dominance they have in Super Bowl advertising.

The video below gives background behind the 1-second ad. You need to check out the actual site, 1secondad.com, to watch all of the spots. They're hilarious.



3 comments:

Megan said...

My favorite is either "One Mississippi" or when he mispronounces Champagne of Beers. Love 'em.

You can see the guitarist standing in the back (on the right, underneath the sign) in some spots if you look closely.

Christine said...

Haha. I agree with your choices. I think 'One Mississippi' is my favorite too. (Followed closely by 'Champag-ne of Beers'.

Cool concept and a great way to poke fun at Bud's giant ad spending.

gesika22 said...

I only caught one of these ads. Did I miss some? I was expecting to see a few.