This is from an article in Businessweek called the 10 Commandements of Web Design. I whole heartedly agree with them and think every designer should abide by them. Most web designers I know should pay special attention to #6... Some of these commandments also translate to, and should be adhered to in print design as well. They are as follows:
1. Thou shalt not abuse Flash.
2. Thou shalt not hide content.
3. Thou shalt not clutter.
4. Thou shalt not overuse glassy reflections.
5. Thou shalt not name your Web 2.0 company with an unnecessary surplus or dearth of vowels.
6. Thou shalt worship at the altar of typography.
7. Thou shalt create immersive experiences.
8. Thou shalt be social.
9. Thou shalt embrace proven technologies.
10. Thou shalt make content king.