Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dr. Pepper Pays Up at the Release of New Guns N' Roses Album

A few weeks ago my husband came home from work all excited because he had heard a radio DJ announce the release of a new Guns N' Roses album, and with it, a free Dr. Pepper. I offered the usual shrug and, "That's nice," clearly not sharing in his enthusiasm. I've never been a hardcore fan of rock 'n roll music and certainly don't know anything about its history. To the shame of my husband, I can't even tell the difference between Metallica and Def Leppard and AC/DC. I'm surprised he married me.

I'd forgotten about this until he came home yesterday saying that people could get their free Dr. Pepper on one day only. I hadn't seen any advertising about this offer, and didn't really understand it, so I did a few seconds' worth of googling to let you know what I know.
Apparently, fans have been waiting for Guns N' Roses new album, Chinese Democracy, since 1994. Yes, 1994. The band hasn't released an album of new songs since 1991. And along the way the band members had issues with each other causing, I think, the break-up of the original band. (Anyone that knows anything about rock music can correct me if I'm wrong.) Since fans have been waiting for so long with canceled release dates and not much hope they'd ever actually see (or hear) the album, Dr. Pepper thought they'd challenge the band by promising a free soda to every person if Chinese Democracy hit shelves in 2008.

Guess what? The album releases tomorrow, Sunday the 23rd. If you want your free Dr. Pepper you must sign up for the coupon on Dr. Pepper's Web site, and you only have tomorrow to do it.
My thing is, why would Dr. Pepper give the challenge if they're not going to promote it?

At any rate, I think I'll sign up for my complimentary Dr. Pepper alongside my husband tomorrow. Anything I can do to make him proud.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Dr. Pepper is me and my Dad's favorite drink. I've been counting down the days until the album would get released but more importantly I've been counting down the days until the Dr. Pepper would be given away.

Scott

Christine said...

I knew nothing about this either! Interesting promotion—I guess the Dr. is a fan? Although the Dr. Pepper website doesn't have anything suggesting the tie into the album release on its website. Just the chance to sign up for you free soda. I just signed up and I'll be getting my coupon in 4 to 6 weeks :)

gesika22 said...

I love how now Axl Rose is pissed that Dr. Pepper couldn't deliver what they promised.

But I guess he has nothing else to do now that his album is finally out.

Megan said...

Check this out: http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2008/12/axl-rose-and-dr-pepper-deserve-each-other-.html