Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We Can Solve It. But Can We Solve This: Why the Upside-Down M?

I first saw the TV ads for the We Campaign, a climate crisis organization, a month or two ago. I've finally gotten around to blogging about it, and I'm hoping my Art Director counterpart can help me answer this question: Why the upside-down m in the logo? The We Campaign Web site, http://www.wecansolveit.org/ only uses the upside-down m purposefully when referencing their campaign, "we."

When I first saw the ad and intriguing font choice on TV, I thought it would make sense for the campaign's tagline to be something like, "We Can Solve It. It Starts with Me." Get it? We. Me. Maybe not.

Art Directors and aspiring Logo Makers--what do you think? Does it give deeper meaning to the campaign or is it just a way to stand out from the We channel?



2 comments:

Christine said...

I definitely think the upside down m has to do with the me vs we thing. It's clearly intentional, but nice and subtle. Perfect mix for a good, effective logo. Nice catch Ms. Copywriter!

Gail said...

Is this campaign by we energies? Their logo is orange with "we" in the center. Maybe wecansolveit had to make sure their logo is different enough to avoid a copyright (trademark?) infringement, so they used a green circle with an upside down "m" for the "w". Just a guess!