Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Healthcare Tagline Makes Me Ache

A friend sent over an AdAge article titled "Your Advertising Slogans Are Crummy. Can't You Do Better?"

As a copywriter, I enjoyed reading the article. I also thought it gave the perfect opportunity to rant about a tagline that's bugged me for some time. A nearby healthcare facility used the tagline "Get to know us. Well." Think about that for half a second. Yeah OK, time's up. Is it trying to make the connection between their healthcare services and feeling well? Because if that's the goal, in my opinion, it fails considerably. All I can think about when I hear that tagline is that the healthcare facility wants patients to be frequently, perpetually ill. How do you get to know someone well? You come around. A lot.

The good news is that, apparently, they've changed their tagline since the new year. It's now the much better "Care for Life." Phew.

Thanks for letting me rant. I feel much better. (Hmm...I wonder if their counseling services are any good...)

2 comments:

Christine said...

Yes, I enjoyed that article as well. I was a little annoyed at the author's stance that any tag that was slightly generic wasn't a good tag. A generic tag like "That was easy" may not speak to what you'll find in a Staples store, neither does "Save big money at Menards." Sorry, but I much prefer "That was easy" although my annoyance with Menard's Ray Szmanda may have something to do with that as well.

And what's the author's problem with all lowercase?

Megan said...

I didn't agree with his comment about all lowercase either. Maybe he had a bad experience once. ha.