Monday, April 28, 2008

Cutting Through The Creative Clutter

As an agency art director and designer, I get bombarded with direct mail from stock photo sites and paper companies. All of these mailings are always using some latest printing technology or are thick booklets filled with photos—nice and well designed, but their content is overall pretty boring and most go directly into my recycling bin after a 2-second review. Every once in awhile, however, something catches my eye. Most often it's a mailing from Veer, a stock photo and font Web site with a more playful brand than most. Nine times out of 10, if I stop to read a piece or hang up a piece in my office for inspiration (the ultimate honor), it's a piece from Veer. An exception being something like the calendar from Mohawk Paper above.











Veer's latest mailing is probably one of my all time favorites. I'm a little delayed on this since I received it a week or two ago, but didn't have time to look through it until today. It's a little Creative's Secret Handbook filled with silly, but clever copy ranging from challenging riddles that will get you discounts on the website to random entertaining bits like Creative Secret Handshakes. I have to give kudos to Veer for this mailing, it's really one of the most entertaining I've received. I haven't figured out what that key is for yet, but I'm working on it.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Good post idea ;)

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff.

By the way, I don't vote in your polls because the polls close too early. Are you not in favor of democracy? Do you manipulate the results? Aye.............