Wednesday, February 6, 2008

'Snow' Rest for the Weary

We're lucky to work for an advertising agency that understands when employees have to stay home on days like today when the weather makes it too dangerous for some of us to travel. The Midwest is in the middle of a huge snowstorm, but thanks to technology, we're able to check email from home and stay connected to our work and clients.

Speaking of technology, Adweek's last online poll of 2007 asked respondents this question: What was the biggest media/marketing story of 2007? I'm surprised that only 29 percent of respondents voted for Facebook and the rise of social networks. Another 27 percent answered the launch of the iPhone.

I would think Facebook should have the majority of the opinion. And I'm wondering if every move Steve Jobs makes is going to be hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

In case you're wondering, other responses to the poll were things like the Hollywood writers' strike at 10 percent and commercials as content, 4 percent.

6 comments:

gesika22 said...

Maybe people are getting sick of social networks like Facebook. I know I am. I find it hard to want to read anything about Facebook / MySpace because it's kind of disgusting to me.

And seeing some MySpace ad during the Superbowl about the NFL's page or whatever was sad.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I'm not hip?

Megan said...

Social networks are important to the ad world because they so easily connect people to one another and are likened to a form of word of mouth, often considered one of the most important/successful forms of advertising. I don't think the ad world is sick of nets like Facebook, and I'm willing to bet you're one of the only people not jumping on the Facebook bandwagon. :)

gesika22 said...

I probably am one of the only ones. And I'm fine with it. I have dealers asking for my MySpace and / or Facebook and I've been pressured into it, but I stand my ground. I'm tough against peer pressure!

gesika22 said...

Oh, and I can see where people may be getting sick of Steve Jobs and sometimes there's a bit too much hype behind their new products. However, I will say that Apple does know what they are doing. Working for a company that tries to mimic Apple in how they introduce new products in many ways and is failing, Apple IS doing something right.

However, their customer service is a different story... :)

Megan said...

You may not have a Facebook account yet, and maybe you never will. But the phenomenon is only going to get bigger and bigger.

Christine said...

Apple is fabulous, although no, not everything they create is a great as sliced bread.

Although the new MacBook Air is as thin as sliced bread...