Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mad About Mad Men

If you haven't been watching the last two season's of Mad Men, you should. It is, in my opinion, one of the best shows on television right now and it has a very devoted following.

Enter the Banana Republic & Mad Men casting call for a walk on role in the series and you have a hit. Even though this contest has a decent number of hoops to jump through before you actually get entered, the prize is coveted enough for people to jump through them. First, you have to physically visit a Banana Republic store to get a Mad About Style Guide to get a code to enter and only while supplies last. You can't get the code online. Once you have the code you have to photograph yourself in 'Mad Men Style' and submit it to online voting. The top 10 male and top 10 female scorers then go on to get judged by Mad Men's executive producer, Matthew Weiner, to select the final winner. Phew! That's a lot of steps for a contest! But hey, it's Mad Men so they can get away with a higher cost of entry, but I am surprised at the crazy number of entries so far considering how many steps one needs to take.

The funny thing I see though, is if you page through the photos entered, most of them don't have a Mad Men look about them. I don't know if these are Banana Republic shoppers who aren't that familiar with the show, but think it would be cool to be on TV, or people who seriously want a Mad Men role. There are a number of attractive head shot looking photos, maybe of actors looking for a break, but they still have no Mad Men styling. They might do okay in the public voting, but if you're going to all that trouble to win a contest, read the fine print! Matthew Weiner is very controlling of the styling on Mad Men, which is one of the reasons it's so unbelievably good. If you don't fit what he wants, he won't choose you. Plus he's judging based on 60% Mad Men Styling and 40% originality. I guess that just makes the contest that much easier for those that really want it enough to read up on the rules.

Heck, I'm thinking of swinging by Banana Republic on my way home now... The new season starts August 16th!

**Did I mention there's also an application out there to Mad Men Yourself? Check it out!**

3 comments:

MoJo said...

I agree with your post. I have entered the competition. Although there were a few hoops, it has been very worth it and fun! I am currently 5th out of 1238.

I am a HUGE fan of Mad Men. Unlike most of my "competition," I am not an actress looking for my big break. Instead, I am just a huge fan looking to see the set and meet the cast of my favorite show.

I had 2 photos I was deciding between to enter. One, an airy, happy full body shot that showed more of my dress, as well as the room, my clutch, and my drink in hand. Or a serious headshot. After much agonizing, I choose to submit the headshot because I thought it conveyed the "character" and "mood" of the 60s, in addition to my setting, props, etc. I also chose it because I thought it looked more like an actual picture from the 60s, and not a "caricature."

I'd love to know your honest opinion of my picture (and your vote!). http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/photos/view/922/sort:Photo.score

Christine said...

I remember your photo from browsing the top scorers—very nice :) Kudos to your persistence in the contest and best of luck!

MoJo said...

Thanks so much for your prompt response! Fingers crossed.

I'll continue to follow your blog.

I also emailed your blog.